The General Directory for Catechesis (#’s 85 & 86) tells us that catechesis is:
- Promoting knowledge of the faith, which is what we call religious education;
- Liturgical education, leading a true liturgical life;
- Moral formation, learning the Way based on conversion to Jesus Christ;
- Teaching to pray, which requires apprenticeship;
- Education for community life, including the ecumenical dimension development of households of faith;
- Preparation to work in the vineyard as an active minister in an interfaith setting.